We come to a place where we stand strong don’t succumb. Here’s some tips to keep your hearts aligned. Not everyone has the joy of working through intensive 12 step stuff and most would never choose to walk the spirit path without dealing with extreme emotional pain.
Here’s some tips to keep your hearts aligned. Not everyone has the joy of working through intensive 12 step stuff and most would never choose to walk the spirit path without dealing with extreme emotional pain.
These are my guideposts – the stuff that keeps my heart aligned. No one can tell you how to do it. No one can impale you with their attitude. Many will say stuff quite and quite unknowingly rip you to pieces. These ‘heart lines’ can help you move forward.
- Don’t give up
- Love is what matters
- Friends and family will disappoint
- Acceptance is the key to everything – know this
- The Patients do what they can and no one wants to be sick
- You make the best decisions you can, knowing what you know, and you can’t predict everything
- There is no room for toxic, painful relationships
- Time is resource – use it wisely
- Discern whom to share with
- Be Wary of Support Groups — “some are sicker than others” is a common quip used to describe poor behavior.
- CareGIVING is not the same as CareTAKING
- Doing The Next Indicated Thing is essential.
- Ask for help but don’t expect it to come from expected people or places. Hell, don’t expect it at all.
- Seek insight from your journey
- Seek insight from those who’ve been there
- Find someone to talk with
- Keep seeking ways to be present in the world
- Find new interests – they may lead to passion
- Engage with people about their lives — don’t constantly focus on your illness
- Service – however small – still serves. Do something for someone else.
We’ve learned. We’ve loved. We’ve laughed. We’ve cried. It is a grieving process. No one can teach it. It starts when the body mind is ready and it leaves one feeling raw. Until then, it is a numb state of shock and fear.
Be at peace with your choices. No matter what, you are doing what seems best at the time. You are doing what you do because of you. It may be who you are. It may be because you made a vow. It may be because you are the dutiful daughter who has always been there. Whatever reason — you are doing what you do because it is you.
Don’t let anyone take you down.
Set your boundaries.
Know your limits.
Find your way to peace. Cherish your soul.
A favorite song — a poem — carries me to this day. A Heart Line from the 70’s to now: